We'd all like to be better listeners, but it can be hard to will ourselves to pay full attention. Here's how to get in touch with your motivation for doing so, so that the behavior will stick.
- We'd all like to be better listeners,…but it can be hard to will ourselves to pay full attention.…Here's how to make behavior stick.…First, get in touch with your motivation.…Why are you doing this?…Why are you taking time out of your day to watch this…and work on building this skill?…Maybe your boss told you that you need to get better,…in which case, this is something…important for your career advancement.…Or maybe a friend or colleague said something…about your not listening well and you realized,…I want to do better, I want to be a better friend.…
Keep your reasons in mind as a way to stay focused.…Second, know that becoming a better listener…is a powerful way to show other people…that you care about them and their perspective.…You can probably even think back to romantic comedies…where the hero or heroine is extolling their love interest.…He's such a good listener!…It's a subtle and quiet skill,…but it's one that makes a deep impression.…Third, listening well enables you to understand…the real problem or the real issue.…
- Describe common challenges to listening.
- Identify signs of poor listening.
- List effective strategies to recapture attention.
- Adopt the mindset of listening.
- Outline the structure of meaningful listening.
- Describe how to keep yourself from interrupting.
- Explain how to let someone know you've heard them.