One personal trait that is essential as a change leader is courage. Learn how courage can plays a key role in leading change.
- In the movie version of The Wizard of Oz…the character of the lion is asked what one personal trait…he'd most like to have.…And his answer, of course, is courage.…And if there's one personal trait I'd want to encourage…for you as a change leader, it's courage.…The courage to be questioned.…Courage to be challenged.…Courage to be unpopular.…Courage to be quietly relentless.…Courage to be authentic.…Courage to be right.…And the courage to be wrong.…
Even if you're leading change at a small scale,…you are still likely to run into stiff resistance.…Change for many people is painful…so they'll avoid it at any cost.…Remember that the opponents of the future…have just one strategy, delay.…All they need to do is to slow you down.…You may be told to keep your head down,…stop rocking the boat, stop making waves.…You may be asked why you're making other people look bad.…You may be ordered by someone in the organization…to stop trying to affect this change.…
You may have some exhilarating leaps forward…and then some crushing setbacks.…
- Recall the benefits of using personal power to lead in a flat organization.
- Name the main tactic of the opponents of change.
- Determine when a top-down approach to leading change is appropriate.
- List the two elements present in a team that is proficient at change.
- Identify the most important capability when considering a candidate for a position on an innovative team.
- Define “responsible change.”
- Recognize the appropriate time to encourage 10x thinking.