- Cite the circumstances that can make a conversation difficult.
- Recall what you should know before having a difficult conversation.
- Summarize how to control the direction of a conversation.
- Describe how to use radical listening to stay present in a conversation.
- Name the magic phrase to test for resistance.
- Name healthy habits you can develop to make difficult conversations easier.
Skill Level Intermediate
- In all of life, personal and professional, conflict is inevitable. You've got to deliver bad news, apologize for a mistake, ask someone to make a change or even end an important relationship or partnership. These moments all require conversations and these conversations are difficult. So how do you go about handling these conversations? It's been my life's work to explore and answer these questions.
My name is Marlene Chism, and I'm a consultant specializing in helping people build better relationships and become effective communicators. In this course, we're going to change the way we view conflict. We'll take a look at what makes a conversation difficult? We'll talk about the power structures at work. I'll even give you a model to follow when you're in that difficult conversation. And finally, how to check for resistance with a magic phrase.
So, if you've got a difficult conversation ahead of you, you have a real opportunity here. Let me show you how to initiate, engage in, and navigate through difficult conversations.