Pilot mindset means you don't wait until you have the perfect next career move, or even job role or promotion lined up. What can you start with from right where you are?
- By now, you may have several hypotheses…about your next move, or at least potential projects…that you could pursue.…But that doesn't mean you have to commit to just one…or even know which one to pick just yet.…The pivot process helps you reduce risks…through small experiments.…It's akin to passing the basketball around the court,…seeing where you have the best opportunity to make a shot.…Think about a television pilot.…A TV pilot is a test episode used to sell a concept…to a network.…Before the network purchases the entire series,…they watch a sample and sometimes even show it…to an audience to gauge interest…and estimate its financial viability.…
Television pilots get their name for the pilot light,…a small flame that is used as an ignition source…for a larger burner, like the central heating unit…of a house or a hot air balloon.…For our purposes, the primary goal of the pilot phase…is ignition and validation,…generating ideas, testing those ideas,…then taking small, smart risks…to eventually inform bigger decisions about what's next.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Optimizing your current role
- Identifying your strengths
- Crafting a one-year vision of success
- Making connections to "friendtors" and one-off mentors
- Creating a skill-building game plan
- Identifying small experiments and stretch projects
- Embracing smart risks
- Mapping next moves to make a greater impact