Feedback can help you become a better speaker or presenter. But not all feedback is helpful. Find out how to evaluate the helpfulness of feedback you receive on your performance.
- Most of us feel defensive when we hear criticism…or get negative feedback.…But, feedback can be a great gift.…It can help us become better speakers.…Over the years, I've received helpful feedback,…and I've received not so helpful feedback.…How can you spot the difference?…There are two indicators of a helpful review:…truthfulness and specificity.…Let's take a look at each.…The first indicator of worthwhile feedback…is its truthfulness.…
If you receive written feedback that reads,…"Don't stand in front of your slides, it's distracting,"…and you recall that you stood in front of your slides,…that can be valuable feedback.…You'll learn not to do that again.…On the other hand, if you receive feedback that reads,…"All the misspelled words on your slide…"make you look unprofessional,"…and you don't have any misspelled words,…there's not a whole lot you can do with that.…It says more about the reviewer than it does about you.…If your performance critique is truthful,…you can learn from it.…
If it isn't, don't sweat it for a second.…
- Describe the components of a great presentation.
- Identify your audience.
- Explain the main objective in a persuasive presentation.
- List basic vocal warm-up tips.
- Manage pre-performance anxiety.
- Identify effective ways to introduce your agenda.
- Describe common opening mistakes.
- Demonstrate effective body language.
- Identify indicators of helpful feedback.
Skill Level Beginner
Overcoming Your Fear of Public Speaking (2014)with Todd Dewett26m 26s Intermediate
Creating and Giving Business Presentationswith Tatiana Kolovou1h 12m Intermediate
Handling an Unruly Audiencewith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 10m Intermediate
1. Prepare Your Speech
2. Prepare for Your Speech
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.