Rewrite messages to frame for the positive.
- Effective change agents frame their messages positively.…They answer the five pressing questions that people have,…and they don't shy away from brutal truths.…Change can be disconcerting…and doesn't always bring positive consequences.…Given this, Tatiana is making sure that her announcement…about a change is forecast in a well crafted email…and then formally announced in person at the group meeting.…Let's watch how she does that.…
- Okay are you ready for this announcement tomorrow?…- Okay I wrote the email, hear it out.…So it goes like this.…Hi Team,…I've added one new agenda item for our meeting tomorrow.…The senior executive team has mandated that we move on…to a new performance management system.…I'll share details and we can discuss our concerns tomorrow.…No?…- A little negative.…- You said, yeah you said to be a little bit more positive.…Okay wait hold on,…let me try this again.…
How about this?…An exciting new performance management…system is coming our way.…A pilot team is using it for the last quarter…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance