Learn from specific examples of leadership blinds spots found in business today. Learn about leaders who get stuck in manager mode and fail to broaden perspectives. How can they get past this failure to shift?
- If it's not broken, don't fix it.…That popular wisdom about efficiency of effort…can be applied to many situations,…from wildly successful business strategies…to 10-year-old washing machines.…But it also uncovers the root of…a serious leadership blind spot.…Think about smart professionals who work hard…to advance their careers.…Along the way, they develop a basic formula…for getting ahead.…They put in the hours, meet the deadlines,…the quotas, the production goals,…and the formula works.…
They get recognition and more responsibility.…Finally, they're tapped for management.…But they begin to struggle, which is a mystery,…because they're doing all the exact same things…they've always done to be successful.…They're following the proven formula,…and yet their teams aren't performing well…and they are falling short as a leader.…Here's the problem.…These highly accomplished professionals have failed…to make the shift from individual contributor to leader.…
They don't recognize that that formula for success…has changed, and that creates a major blind spot…
Instructor Sara Canaday dives into the nuances of blind spots, explaining why blind spots matter when it comes to career success, and which intangible skills can help you find and eliminate these roadblocks. Sara also covers ways to find and close the gaps between your perception of yourself and your reputation. She explores specific examples of leadership blind spots commonly seen in the business world and provides steps that you can take to mitigate your perception problems.
Lynda.com is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Understanding blind spots
- Gaining insights about awareness skills
- Identifying and managing blind spots
- Getting clarity on how you see yourself
- Finding out how others see you
- Closing the gaps between your perception and your reputation
- Exploring specific examples of leadership blind spots
- Taking action to deal with your blind spots