The best thing to do is start wherever you are now. There are many common scenarios for people thinking through this transition, including the following: you know what you want but you're not sure how to get there, you have a hunch what you want but you're not sure about the specifics, or you have absolutely no idea.
- Every time you make a transition, there is a couple of processes that you're going to use over and over again. I call it exploring and experimenting. So, we're going to go through some ideas of how you explore and experiment in a moment, but I just want to talk about the many, many places you could be right now. So, you could want to make a total shift or you can want to make a really slight tweak in where you are. It's possible that you want to move towards something. It's also possible that you really just want to move away from something.
It's possible you want to be in the same field in a new role or it's possible that you want to be in the same kind of role but in a new field. So these are all kind of variations, but interestingly, you can use the same processes to get you there. The other thing I want to mention right now is this is a really good time to think about self awareness. So, two things, are you a leaper or are you a planner? People usually know right away, are you leaper or a planner.
Do you research and study and talk for quite a long time before you make your first move? Or have the best things in your life happened where you've literally just say, I'm going to take the risk and go? So this is about knowing yourself. And every time you've made a transition in the past, look back, what has worked for you? Did you talk to people you respected? Did you read a lot of books? Did you go on a lot of interviews? Think about what worked for you in the past because it's likely going to work for you again.
- Identify the personally meaning behind the encore movement.
- Discover the essentials involved in exploring the possibilities of an encore career.
- Examine the benefits of volunteerism in a post professional career.
- Break down the positives to sharing your individual story on the business-oriented social media platform Linkedin.
- Identify the important fundamentals in networking and interviewing for an encore career in today’s business market.