Public speaking coach Laura Bergells shows you five strong opening techniques to consider for your next speech or presentation. Learn how to exploit the power of the cold open.
- How can you use your words to grab the attention…of your audience right away?…Let's explore five techniques…that exploit the power of what's called the cold open.…In the cold open, you simply begin by beginning.…There's no hemming, no hawing.…You don't start by saying welcome, or thank you,…or any of those trite polite platitudes…that almost guarantee you'll lose your audience in seconds.…So, what do you do instead?…Let's take a look at those five cold opening techniques.…
Number one, I often like to start with a presentation…by asking an open-ended question.…Just a few moments ago, for example,…I started with how can you use your words…to grab the attention of your audience right away.…This question creates something of a mini-mystery.…It opens a knowledge gap and makes the audience wonder…about how you'll close it.…Second, you can effectively start a presentation…with a story that illustrates a key point…of your presentation.…Starting with a story serves two purposes.…
Number one, people really perk up and pay attention…
- Describe the components of a great presentation.
- Identify your audience.
- Explain the main objective in a persuasive presentation.
- List basic vocal warm-up tips.
- Manage pre-performance anxiety.
- Identify effective ways to introduce your agenda.
- Describe common opening mistakes.
- Demonstrate effective body language.
- Identify indicators of helpful feedback.