Learn the main approaches to decision making. Understand why the team needs to know your particular approach, and the supporting power of great explanations following decisions.
- [Instructor] There are many approaches to decision making.…I'm going to discuss the three most basic approaches.…Keep in mind, there's no perfect approach.…The three most basic forms of decision making are…autocratic, collaborative, and democratic.…Autocratic decision making is defined by you making…a decision with no input from the team…followed by telling the team your decision.…Collaborative decision making involves a partnership…or a collaboration between you and the team.…
You make the decision, but first you seek genuine input…from the team.…Finally, democratic decision making involves you…allowing the team to make the decision…irrespective of what you think.…Over time, you're likely to use all of these.…However, research does suggest the best overall approach…is collaborative with much lighter use of both autocratic…or democratic approaches.…Okay, you're the new leader of the team.…Before you first meet with the team,…be prepared to discuss your personal approach…to decision making.…
You might even choose to use some of the specific labels…
LinkedIn Learning is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
- Establish identity as a manager.
- Identify best practices for clarifying performance expectations.
- List effective communication tips.
- Articulate the main elements of effective feedback.
- Define rapport.
- Distinguish types of decision-making styles.
- Signal fairness and integrity.
- Articulate how to best assert authority.