How do you move from traditional work to working in the context of capabilities, changing the structure of your teams in the process? In this chapter, explore the steps to take, the case to make, and the benefits of pushing to this model, including: speed, as the world of digital is moving faster than companies can adapt, customer expectations, as customers expect you to iterate and design based on their feedback, improved processes as they end up being developed around organizational silos and a consistent customer experience and speed to market suffer, organizational advantages as companies must re-examine how they holistically approach digital and omnichannel by organizing cross-functional teams around capabilities, such as repeat delivery vs. marketing, ops, IT, and more, decision rights, as ownership of “digital” has become universally messy, and without intentional design, the lack of clear decision rights or collaboration forums will undermine the ability to deliver effectively, and finally, governance, as roadmaps must collapse barriers, expose dependencies, and renew the focus of efforts on differentiating the employee, partner, and customer experience.
- The benefits of moving…to a capability-based operating model are undeniable.…They include speed, as the world of digital…is moving faster than companies can adapt.…Customer expectations, as customers expect you…to iterate and design based on their feedback.…Improve precesses, as they end up being developed…around organizational silos…and a consistent customer experience…and speed to market suffer.…Organizational advantages, as companies must reexamine…how they holistically approach digital and omnichannel…by organizing cross-functional teams…around capabilities, such as repeat delivery…versus marketing, operations, IT, et cetera.…
Decision rights, as ownership of digital…has become universally messy and without intentional design…the lack of clear decision rights or collaboration forums…will undermine the ability to deliver effectively.…Governance, as road maps must collapse barriers,…expose dependencies, and renew the focus of efforts…on differentiating the employee, partner,…and/or customer experience.…The path to adopting this model…
- Explain how accountability and collaboration can be synergistic.
- Recognize limitations when pursuing new ideas in an innovation lab.
- List the five stages of digital maturity.
- Identify the benefit of transparency in strategic thinking.
- Name one focus that would form a good basis for a capability team.