Join Chris Croft for an in-depth discussion in this video Estimating time and costs, part of Management: Top Tips.
- Step Three, estimating.…In this step, we're estimating both the time and the cost…for every task.…And the method is exactly the same…for both time and for money.…A common mistake people make is to put in averages…for their estimates.…But the problem with an average is that half the time…you'll be over budget or late.…And it's really an unacceptable outcome…for half your projects to be over budget or late.…So what I recommend is for each task think about the average…that it might take in terms of the cost and the money.…
And also think about the worst case,…and then go halfway in between those.…If you go halfway between the average and the worst,…then you'll have a situation where you're going to be right…90% of the time.…You're still going to be over spent on 10% of your estimates…but we have to live with that.…It's impossible to know everything.…So that's estimating, halfway between the average…and the worst case for both the time and the money.…
- Being assertive
- Taking responsibility for mistakes
- Giving and receiving criticism
- Time management
- Project management
- Holding effective meetings
- Giving presentations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Leveraging Assertiveness
2. Time Management for Managers
3. Project Management
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.