Having smart people together isn't enough. It's important to understand how those smart people are going to work together to accomplish the mission. To do this, we need to establish roles and responsibilities that are distinct enough, yet have clear connection to the team and its goal.
- When we don't clearly define team member roles…and responsibilities, we slow things down.…It's not mal-intent, in fact, the intent is often great.…Maybe if people are free to define their role,…it will encourage more collaboration.…It turns out, research tells us the opposite is true.…In the absence of clarity, we waste time…protecting territory and negotiating for roles.…By having their roles clearly defined,…people are able to move faster…by doing some of their work independently.…
There are many frameworks to define roles…and responsibilities.…I suggest the RAPID framework.…Each letter of RAPID stands for a role in decision-making.…By clearly defining who goes in which category,…you can improve your collaboration…and accelerate your decision-making.…As Jeff Weiner, CEO of LinkedIn, says,…long-term value of an organization is defined…by the speed and quality of its decision-making.…Let's go through each of the letters of RAPID.…R is for recommend.…
Recommenders are the ones who recommend a practical…and effective course of action based on sound data.…
- Define “compassionate collaboration” and explain how it helps a team work more efficiently.
- Identify the potential problems with narratives.
- Recognize the core skill that a great project facilitator possesses.
- Determine the best way to address possible barriers or roadblocks to attaining the collective goal.
- Recall how often checklist compliances should be verified.