Get a better grasp of what people might be feeling so you can consider what to do next.
- I think you just need to take a walk…in the shoes or your team.…I know you're really excited about all these changes…and the benefits that you see connected to it,…but what does the change look like…from your team's perspective?…- How would I know?…- Well, take John, for example, you'd mentioned to me…that his bonus could be negatively affected…by the new system.…That's a pretty legitimate reason to resist change, right?…- I don't disagree.…Sure, but he probably will lose money,…but I don't know that yet.…
How do I communicate that with him.…- You don't have to fix the problem right now,…you just need to show him that you get it.…His concern is legitimate and that you care.…- So I have to acknowledge it even if I can't solve it.…I'm a problem solver.…- But a hundred percent that's what empathy is.…- I guess.…I should go talk to him really.…I mean maybe just kind of walk through…some scenarios with him.…The other thing with him is that he manages the people…in the Call Center, so whatever we're changing…in the Performance Evaluation System…
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance