Volume, tone, and pace: these are three key areas for you to practice vocal variety. Discover the importance of vocal variety and explore techniques to enhance variety.
- Some of my friends who have small children…sometimes express exasperation.…They've read their child a dozen bedtime stories…and their child will not fall asleep.…They always want just one more story.…I like to tell my friends…that they're probably being far too interesting…and entertaining to put their children to sleep.…We tend to use more vocal variety…when we talk to people we like.…A few friends have challenged me to come over…and read their child a bedtime story.…And when I do I make sure to speak in a soft,…sing-songy voice.…
Now as an adult listener…you might be tempted to run out the room screaming…if I talk like that in a business context.…Yet you'll find some speakers performing…what I call the business speech equivalent of a lullaby.…That monotonous tone and a lack of dynamic range.…It can make your audience fight to stay awake.…Instead think of using vocal variety in three key areas.…The first key area is volume or dynamic range.…
The most fundamental way to gain anyone's attention…is to break a pattern.…
- Describe the components of a great presentation.
- Identify your audience.
- Explain the main objective in a persuasive presentation.
- List basic vocal warm-up tips.
- Manage pre-performance anxiety.
- Identify effective ways to introduce your agenda.
- Describe common opening mistakes.
- Demonstrate effective body language.
- Identify indicators of helpful feedback.
Skill Level Beginner
Overcoming Your Fear of Public Speaking (2014)with Todd Dewett26m 26s Intermediate
Creating and Giving Business Presentationswith Tatiana Kolovou1h 12m Intermediate
Handling an Unruly Audiencewith Deirdre Breakenridge1h 10m Intermediate
1. Prepare Your Speech
2. Prepare for Your Speech
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.