What does high-performance mean? How will you measure it? How much of your definition hinges on hard business metrics like sales, profitability, and growth versus on qualitative metrics like morale, engagement, and customer satisfaction? The way you define and measure high performance will dictate the practices you put in place to achieve it.
- To build a high-performance culture,…you have to define what high performance is.…What does high performance mean?…How are you going to measure it?…How much of your definition hinges on hard business metrics,…like sales, profitability, and growth,…versus on qualitative metrics,…like morale, engagement, and customer satisfaction?…The way you define and measure performance…will dictate the practices you put in place to achieve it.…If you define performance by hard business metrics,…you'll get behaviors focused on driving those metrics.…
That won't always get you the outcome you want…in terms of building a high-performance culture.…The focus ends up being on driving the number.…And that can come at the expense…of building a great culture.…If it's defined by behaviors and soft metrics,…like engagement, retention, morale,…and customer satisfaction,…then you get those behaviors.…And the hard metrics like sales and profits should follow.…Let's look at a couple of examples…of defining high performance.…
In one organization I know,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify the components of high-performing cultures.
- Assess and evaluate your current culture.
- Define high performance.
- Create a compelling vision and mission.
- Compare and contrast communication vehicles.
- Explain what culture is and list ways to reinforce it.
- Identify tools for measuring and balancing results.