Leaders who create a strong culture of outstanding performance will find that performance will strengthen their culture. By strengthening the culture, the likelihood of better results and performance increases. This is known as a virtuous circle. But be careful—this dynamic works in the opposite direction as well!
- Leaders who create a strong culture…of outstanding performance…will find that performance strengthens their culture.…By strengthening the culture,…the likelihood of better results…and performance increases.…This is known as a virtuous circle.…You need to be careful though,…the dynamic works in the opposite direction as well.…Bad behavior begets bad performance,…which leads to more bad behavior,…and ultimately a bad culture.…I know one senior executive who always used to ask people,…"How much money have you made me today?"…That simple question flowed through…all the behaviors in the organization.…
Everyone focused on financials,…but it was at the expense of creating a great culture.…Let me share an example of how to build a virtuous circle.…I worked with one executive who sat the team down…and they created team operating principles.…These principles dictated how…they would work with each other,…their standards of behavior,…and how they were going to treat their customers.…They went through their goal deployment process,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Components of high-performing cultures
- Assessing your current culture
- Defining high performance
- Creating a compelling vision and mission
- Tying strategy to culture
- Communicating the culture
- Building your teams and processes
- Highlighting culture moments
- Providing regular feedback