Join Tatiana Kolovou for an in-depth discussion in this video Course overview, part of Communicating in Times of Change.
- The course follows a hypothetical scenario of change in the workplace. Tatiana will step into the character of a team leader tasked with announcing a change in the organization's performance management system. The conversation mimics many of the conversations we have with our own coaching clients, who are the communicators of change everyday. They have taught us through hard lessons learned, what works and what doesn't work. You will see me play the part of her colleague, who helps her champion the change.
We've also invited four of Tatiana's direct reports to join the scenario. And you'll first meet them in chapter two. - Now, in chapter one, you meet the change agent. And you understand why communication plays such an important role in change initiatives. Brenda and I have spent hundreds of hours researching this topic for you. When we talk about content that's based on a study or a latest book, you'll see it noted. An extensive list of references will be in the course exercise files for you.
- In chapter two, you see Tatiana learn the five must know strategies you need to think about before you communicate your upcoming change. We want this course to be a turnkey operation for you. So, as soon as you finish a chapter, we guide you through actionable questions to help you prepare for your own change communication. - In chapter three, you see me craft, edit and finally deliver the change message. Again, we will guide you to design your announcement.
- Chapter four, we'll help you handle tough questions. You will see what's going on in the minds of Tatiana's four direct reports. This is the chapter where we talk about all the common reasons people have for resisting change. And, the empathetic mindset the change agent, that's you, will need to embrace in order to address that resistance. - In the final chapter, you see me walking through several makeovers of how I handled the initial meeting and why going beyond logic allows you to become an effective change agent.
We know that your change, like most change, will face resistance. This chapter gets to the heart of how to manage that pushback. - We're excited to get started, so let's meet Tatiana, the team leader, as she begins the adventure of communicating an organizational change.
Tatiana and Brenda begin by reviewing success stories and survey data that emphasize why communication in times of change is so crucial. Next, they explain how to strategize communication efforts, craft the change communication message, and answer common questions that people may have when grappling with change. To wrap up, they discuss how to manage difficult questions, emphasize with others, and overcome resistance.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why communication in times of change matters
- Strategizing your communication efforts
- Crafting the change communication message
- Five questions people have in times of change
- Managing difficult questions
- Empathizing with others
- Overcoming resistance