- Recognize how most executives view their personal energy and time.
- Identify strategies used to avoid traps when adversity strikes.
- Determine the purpose of engaging questions.
- Recall how often you should review your connections network.
Skill Level Intermediate
- You've heard myths and tales about a person being granted three wishes. But what if you were granted just one wish, and it had to be about your professional life, your career. Based on my experience and research, you should consider wishing for strong and diverse connections to executives. I mean executives in the broadest sense, senior leaders and influencers in organizations. No matter what industry or sector you work in, people who build strong and diverse connections to senior leaders benefit in many ways. They get more opportunities and promotions.
They have more options both within and beyond their organizations. They receive better coaching and mentoring. They get more referrals and introductions. They're much better positioned for career advancement or career changes. And that's just a few of the benefits. No matter how things change or how you change, no one can take those relationships away from you. And they'll be pricelessly valuable forever, in work and life. How do people build those connections? How can you do it, especially the most challenging scenario, connecting with executives you don't know yet, or don't know well? That's what we cover in this course.
I'm John Ullmen. As an Executive Coach over the past two decades, I've coached hundreds of executives in dozens of organizations, across industries around the world. From direct experience, I've learned how executives make decisions to meet with junior professionals, when they say yes and why, even when people aren't in their management chain. I've learned why executives continue strengthening relationships with some, compared to the majority with whom they don't. I want you to know, too. And I want you to avoid the mistakes I made on this earlier in my career.
So I'm excited to share with you what I've learned over the years from many terrific leaders, and from lots of junior professionals who succeed in connecting with them. So, if you get three wishes about career advancement, or even just one, you can use it on something else. Join me in my LinkedIn Learning course on Connecting with Executives.