Understand the path to building a high-performing culture and the leader's responsibilities in taking the organization down that path. This includes defining the culture, setting direction, communicating the culture, organizing to succeed, managing organizational performance, and living the culture on a daily basis. Leaders must ensure the right platforms and processes are in place to reinforce the culture.
- A high performing culture is one where people drive performance because of the right behaviors. They've embedded these behaviors in their everyday life. People in high performing cultures require less supervision. They're empowered to achieve goals that are consistent with the organization's direction. As a leader, you need to understand how to build a high performing culture and your responsibilities for making it happen. I found that there are six components to building a high performing culture.
First, you have to define the culture. What is a high performance? What are the desired behaviors? How will you know when you've achieved a high performing culture? Second, set direction. What's the vision for the organization? What's the organization's purpose? You have to be able to articulate this to the team. Third is communicating the culture. What are the communication vehicles and techniques you're going to use to reinforce culture ever day? You'll have to organize your team to support the culture.
How will you build your teams? What processes are you going to create for recruiting and talent development? You'll have to manage performance. What are the goals of the organization? How are you going to measure people's performance? How do you create the right behavioral incentives? Last you're going to have to live the culture every day. How are you going to capture culture moments and provide feedback to people to reinforce desired behaviors and to get rid of behaviors that are counter to the culture you're trying to build? As a leader, creating this high performing culture is something that you can achieve.
You just have to make sure that you take the right steps to get your organization there.
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Identify the components of high-performing cultures.
- Assess and evaluate your current culture.
- Define high performance.
- Create a compelling vision and mission.
- Compare and contrast communication vehicles.
- Explain what culture is and list ways to reinforce it.
- Identify tools for measuring and balancing results.