Awareness of the nonverbal messages you may be unintentionally communicating will help to ensure you’re sending the right message.
- Believe it or not, the majority of all communication…is nonverbal.…In fact, psychologists who study communication…say that only 7% is attributed to words.…Your tone accounts for 38%,…and the nonverbal signals you send are the majority,…at 55% of communication.…As the leader of your team, all eyes are on you.…Some simple nonverbal signals that send a big message…include body language, facial expression,…time management, and seating.…
Have you ever watched video footage of yourself…conducting a meeting or giving a presentation?…If you're like most people, the thought of that…makes you want to cringe.…We don't like to see video footage of ourselves…because the picture we have in our minds…of what we look and sound like…is seldom how it appears on the screen.…This difference between how we think we look…and how others see us is called a perceptual gap.…While it may be a little uncomfortable,…the best way to gain insights on your nonverbal habits…is to watch video footage of yourself in action.…
If that seems like a stretch,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining roles and commitments
- Managing conflict
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Creating a shared vision and focusing on objectives
- Providing feedback
- Structuring time for reflection
- Holding teammates accountable
- Communicating in face-to-face and virtual meetings
- Communicating across job functions and across cultures