Consider your purpose, audience, and message to make email communication more efficient and effective within your team.
- Most of us have a love-hate relationship with email.…On the positive side, it's super convenient…and an efficient way to communicate.…The downside is, it's overused…and can lead to significant miscommunication.…Studies show the average worker spends as many…as six and a quarter hours per day on email.…So, how can we improve your communications via email?…Before you hit send on your next email,…think about its purpose, recipients, and content.…
Let's start with the purpose.…Why are you sending this message?…It's so easy to fire off a quick email on our devices…that we often don't stop and ask ourselves,…is this a message that I really need to send?…Is the content appropriate for an email?…Remember, email is not private.…Messages can very easily be printed…or forwarded into the wrong hands.…Consider whether the topic might be best discussed in person…or over the telephone.…If you definitely need to send the email,…who should the recipients be?…Does everyone on the team need to receive your message?…Or does it only apply to a small subset?…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining roles and commitments
- Managing conflict
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Creating a shared vision and focusing on objectives
- Providing feedback
- Structuring time for reflection
- Holding teammates accountable
- Communicating in face-to-face and virtual meetings
- Communicating across job functions and across cultures