Communication on conference calls can be improved by managing call logistics and directing the conversation more than you might during an in-person meeting. Help your teammates stay focused during conference calls using these tips.
- Can you hear me?…Who's on the call so far?…Did someone just join?…Most conference calls start off…with a predictable set of technical questions…that don't set the best tone for your meetings.…As the team leader, there are several things…that you can do to facilitate effective…and efficient communication within your team…during these meetings.…Let's look at some things you can do…to improve your next team conference call.…Try to initiate the call early.…If you're the first on the line,…you'll hear each person join the call.…That will give you a chance to catch up…with your colleagues and it keeps you…from having to ask who's on the call later.…
This also gives you an opportunity…to ensure the technology is working as it should.…Once everyone has joined and you're ready to begin,…ask participants to mute their phones…when they're not speaking.…Background noise and feedback will make it difficult…for everyone on the call to hear the speaker.…Set the expectation that individuals…should state their name when they join the call,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Defining roles and commitments
- Managing conflict
- Establishing and maintaining trust
- Creating a shared vision and focusing on objectives
- Providing feedback
- Structuring time for reflection
- Holding teammates accountable
- Communicating in face-to-face and virtual meetings
- Communicating across job functions and across cultures