- Recall the core skills involved in diplomacy.
- Explore the effects when tact and diplomacy are lacking.
- Define the Tact and Diplomacy model.
- Differentiate between encoding and decoding.
- Differentiate between negative and positive politeness.
Skill Level Intermediate
- Welcome to Communicating with Tact and Diplomacy. My name is Tatiana Kolovou. And in this course, we explore the delicate balance of building the skill of being tactful, while embracing the philosophy of being diplomatic. That's right. Tact is a self-awareness skill. And diplomacy is a mindset that involves the people around you. We will start the course off with reviewing what tact and diplomacy are and what they're not. I will go over the list of dos and don'ts and the benefits we receive by operating with tact and diplomacy.
Then we will review the model that works in the majority of situations. I'll show you how it applies in day-to-day workplace scenarios. And finally, I will ask you to be the coach. We'll walk through four tricky scenarios, where you get to guide our protagonist. In each of these, there are many different responses. Your job will be to choose the best one. And I will be right by your side to explain the difference between wrong, right and optimal.
For you to get the most out of this course, you will need to apply and practice what you learn. The obvious applications will be in the workplace, but you can also utilize these skills in your personal life. The more you practice what you've learned, the greater your awareness and sharper your skills will be in all areas of your life. I have designed this course to be interactive and applied in helping you become more diplomatic and effective in every one of your interactions.
Let's get started.