Focus your time and attention on what is most valuable. Follow magazines, blogs, and courses that feed your strengths.
- When I consult leaders to help them grow…in their career and their organization,…often the first thing we need to do…is help them learn how to be more focused.…Focus is the strategic allocation of your time…and attention toward that which has the most value.…Yet most people are allocating their time…and attention in a chaotic way.…Only occasionally do they spend time…on that which is most valuable.…The rest of the time, well they're pretty much looking…at anything and everything on social media…or on their phone or in the news.…
Instead you want to choose your areas of focus carefully…and then schedule time to make sure…that you stay focused.…What should you be focused on?…That's easy.…If you've completed the previous chapters,…you will have identified your most valuable strengths.…These are the activities…that not only od you do well…because you have gifts, loves, and skills attached to them,…but also have high marketplace value.…So are you ready to focus on them?…More importantly, are you ready to start saying no…
- Identify the key differences between gifts, loves, and skills.
- Explore methods for discovering what you love to do.
- Identify your core skills through self-reflection and via feedback from others.
- Choose your strongest and most valuable work activities through ranking and rating.
- Identify the steps needed to invest in yourself and grow your strengths.
- Recall how to match your strengths to your responsibilities, and discover when to grow your current career versus switch to a new one.