How do you coach a high performer? Lisa Gates talks about the challenges with coaching high achievers. Learn how to establish specific goals for your high achievers, how to praise them, and how get out of their way.
- Several years back, I worked as the education director…for a non-profit, and our office manager, Cindy,…was one of the most productive, problem-solving,…high performing people I have ever worked with.…High performers like Cindy show up at every level…of an organization, not just the top.…So, I want to share the DNA of high performers…and give you some strategies for working with them.…In my experience, high performers are confident…and self-directed, they crave autonomy,…and they have a low tolerance for mediocrity,…and they loathe failure.…
They're constantly trying to improve their game…and exceed the goals they set for themselves.…High performers can also come across as aggressive,…and arrogant, even selfish.…And sometimes, they have a pretty inflated sense…of their skills and talents.…All of these attributes, positive and negative,…mean that as their coach, you have to present…and on your game.…To coach a high performer, I recommend adopting…a peer-to-peer approach.…Even if you're rungs above them in your company's hierarchy,…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List three strategies to assess an individual for coachability.
- Identify the essential elements of a coaching contract.
- Recall the three levels of accountability.
- Distinguish among the three levels of listening.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a low-performance employee.
- Summarize strategies for coaching a high-performance employee.