In this video, learn the best practices for creative, open-ended conversation that moves people quickly to clarity.
- Whether you have casual conversations…or more structured career conversations,…here are some dos and don'ts,…and even if you're not a people manager,…these work great for peer mentoring and coaching as well.…Some dos, best practices for conducting these meetings.…Do more listening than talking.…Save your own experience and advice…for the end of the conversation,…when you'll have a better sense…of what would be most helpful to share.…Ask open-ended questions.…Instead of asking why, which can sometimes make people…feel defensive, ask follow-up questions such as,…what's important to you about that,…what else, and tell me more.…
These will help both of you get to the root…of what matters most to each person.…Focus most on the Plant stage.…Explore what values are most important…to the person you're talking to,…what their talents and interests are,…and what success looks like one year from now,…while also adding your observations…about their key strengths and accomplishments.…Remain exploratory during the conversation.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Optimizing your current role
- Identifying your strengths
- Crafting a one-year vision of success
- Making connections to "friendtors" and one-off mentors
- Creating a skill-building game plan
- Identifying small experiments and stretch projects
- Embracing smart risks
- Mapping next moves to make a greater impact