A robust and easy-to-navigate reporting system is an enabler of performance management. But be careful—reports can take on a life of their own and never go away. Rigorously manage your reporting function and be judicious about adding metrics to dashboards, as those numbers can quickly get overwhelming where any insights you could have, end up drowning in the data.
- A robust and easy to navigate reporting system…is an enabler of performance management.…But be careful, reports can take on a life of their own…and never go away.…Rigorously manage your reporting function.…Be judicious about adding metrics to dashboards.…Those numbers can quickly get overwhelming…and any insights you could have end up drowning in the data.…Before building a report,…answer the five principles of measurement.…
Don't build anything until you can answer these questions.…What is the measurement's purpose?…What data source will you use?…How will you calculate the measurement?…How frequently will you measure…and who will review it?…At one point, I took over a team…that had the reporting function for our division.…I asked the head of the team,…can you get me a copy of all the reports…that we publish on a regular basis?…And his eyes got really big,…he said, "you want all the reports?"…I said, yeah, I want a copy of all the reports.…
He brought a stack of paper over to my desk…that was no shorter than six inches high.…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- List the main purposes of measurement.
- Define value chain.
- Compare and contrast qualitative and quantitative measurements.
- Identify common measurement reporting tools.
- Describe how to measure R&D innovation and product development performance.
- List good measurements of strategic planning, financial planning, and legal performance.
- Explain measurement processes and best practices.