Learn about the benefits of communicating with tact and diplomacy in workplace situations and hear success stories. Authenticity, empathy, and listening skills are also referenced. Learn to identify the negative effects that poor diplomacy can have on organizations and professionals alike, with examples, stories, and facts that bring this to life. Traps like inattention to detail, hurriedness, or lack of being attuned to a situation will all be discussed.
- Let's start with the entertaining stuff.…What does lack of tact and diplomacy get you?…Well, for one thing, a bad reputation.…I don't have to start listing names and specific stories,…but many of them relate to Hollywood…and the world of politics.…Celebrities and politicians are in the spotlight,…and when they misbehave, reporters and media…are there to document their bad behavior.…So in nearly all cases,…tactless behavior becomes a permanent black mark,…which negatively influences your personal brand.…
Another quick way to gain a bad reputation…with a large group, is by being tactless on social media.…Brands have marketed their products at the wrong time,…like the shoe brand that tied the news of a riot…with the announcement of their new product release.…Bloggers and users have engaged in arguments online…that result from acting impulsively,…and without thinking of longterm consequences.…When someone acts tactlessly, it usually looks like this.…
Acting fast without having much concern for others,…especially others they don't know.…
- Recall the core skills involved in diplomacy.
- Explore the effects when tact and diplomacy are lacking.
- Define the Tact and Diplomacy model.
- Differentiate between encoding and decoding.
- Differentiate between negative and positive politeness.