Learn to avoid common mistakes that have held others back.
- It's good to make mistakes…because if you're not failing, you're not trying.…But your life will go a lot smoother…if you can avoid making some of the more severe…and more common mistakes.…You can learn a lot by watching the mistakes of others.…I've advised hundreds of leaders…and have found that one of the biggest pitfalls…is a refusal to change their mindsets.…Specifically, people refuse to believe…other factors besides performance…will be taken into consideration…when promotion time comes along,…in spite of the evidence.…
Look around your work place,…and take note of who's being promoted.…Are the promotions going to people…who are technically great at their jobs,…or are other factors coming into play?…My guess is the latter.…Refusal to shift your mindset on this matter…can derail your career before you leave the station.…Another pitfall that I've seen is the imposter syndrome.…This is when perfectly capable people…believe others will find out they're a fraud.…
I've coached people who spent most of their working day…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Determining your boss's management style
- Pushing back and saying no when necessary
- Practicing self-promotion
- Making great impressions
- Avoiding pitfalls
- Building productive team relationships
- Establishing credibility
- Evaluating your team
- Building a team of all-stars
- Getting team members engages
- Managing your peers
- Being influential and staying sharp