This video highlights some of the cultural mistakes graduates make when starting out in their careers, and how to prepare to avoid these situations.
- Have you ever been in a new social environment…where you've unknowingly made a bit of a faux pas,…but you aren't aware until you look back at the situation?…I think we've all experienced this at one time or another.…And when it dawns on you that you've made…a bit of a cultural mistake,…it can either be amusing or embarrassing.…It's easy to forget, but when you join a new organization,…particularly in one of your initial professional roles,…you're joining an organizational system that already exists.…
It was running before you joined and there's a legacy there.…Much like when you started a new school,…you'll have to learn the ropes,…figure out how to get ahead within that particular culture.…Think of an organization as a mini society.…From an organizational psychology perspective,…each business will run like a small nation.…There are collective social norms, rules,…chains of commands, communication styles,…and behaviors that are rewarded,…and some that are frowned upon.…
This new organization is made up of individuals…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Transitioning from the campus to the office
- Differences in the working world
- Developing a transition success mindset
- Adapting to a new environment
- Avoiding cultural mistakes
- The first 90 days
- Building a strategy