The leadership matrix can help you develop members of your team in many situations. You can use this approach to assess a new team you're taking over, to hire more effectively, to conduct succession planning, to plan team member development, and to reorganize your team.
- The leadership matrix can help you develop…your team members in a lot of different situations.…You can use it to access a new team, you can use…it in hiring, and succession planning activities.…You can plan team member development or even reorganizations…based on the results of the leadership matrix assessment.…To access a new team ask the team's prior manager…about individual performance.…Also ask them who consumed the majority of their time…and energy and why they were consuming it.…
Do your initial assessment on the leadership matrix…based on that input.…Then, conduct your own assessment after two months…to see how you might have to change your approach…to how you're leading the members of your team.…For hiring use their resume and the interview…to gauge what the individual's results…might be on your team.…Also, ask them what their work style is.…Find out how they interacted with their last boss…in order to access how much leadership capital…the individual might take up from you.…
For succession planning focus…
- Recognize the Leadership Matrix and four ways to assess a team member's results.
- Classify performance patterns into the four quadrants of the leadership matrix.
- Select appropriate performance improvement techniques for eight performance patterns.
- Name the eight common performance patterns and recall how to identify them.
- Describe different ways to lead and motivate associates within the eight different performance patterns.
- Recognize the three major time allocation pitfalls that leaders face.