Teams are better than the sum of their parts when they collaborate. This means that multiple perspectives are brought to the table and incorporated in the final outcome. Effective teammates encourage participation of everyone on the team and pitch in to get the job done, even when you might not want to.
- Helen Keller said, "Alone we can do so little,…"together we can do so much."…This simple quote is the essence of why we work in teams.…Exemplary teams understand that we accomplish more together…and approach teamwork with a collaborative spirit.…Let me tell you a quick story.…I was sitting next to a man I'll call Ryan…in a meeting not too long ago.…He passionately argued for an approach that the team liked…but ultimately decided against.…
In this case, it's important that everyone on the team…provide the same options to their clients.…The team voted to take a new direction instead,…which meant that everyone on the team needed to use method A…rather than method B, which Ryan wanted.…Frustrated by this outcome,…Ryan's demeanor completely changed.…After being very involved in the discussion,…he basically shut down…and didn't say anything else during the meeting.…He didn't do anything to intentionally sabotage the project,…but from this point on, he stopped making much of an effort…to accomplish the team's goal.…
- List benefits of putting your team’s needs before your own.
- Name the qualities of a teammate who is considered to be reliable.
- Explain what it means to be proactive.
- Recognize the importance of adjusting to the collaborative decision of the team.
- Recall the attributes displayed by a strategically focused team member.