"One job, one person" might sound good, but nowadays many people are going to need to have more than one work situation at a time. Learn about developing your portfolio of work.
- In a world of rapid change, we need a new model…that helps each of us to continually grow and develop.…And it can really find new sources of opportunities…for compensated work, what we used to call a job.…Without our necessarily realizing it,…our actual relationship with work is changing.…When our relationship to work is binary,…we either have a job or we don't,…we usually have predictable activities and earnings.…But when rapidly changing times…means we have a fuzzier relationship with work,…perhaps requiring multiple sources of income…from a variety of activities.…
I call this a portfolio of work,…which is rule number five of the new rules of work.…In the same way that an investor often has…a distributed portfolio, some safe investments,…some riskier investments, an important strategy…for dealing with the uncertainty in the world of work…is to have more than one activity at any one time.…And the most entrepreneurial of workers…will have a range of activities they do to generate income…and to perform the kinds of activities…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why there are new rules of work, learning, and life
- Thinking like an entrepreneur
- Building your network
- Doing work driven by meaning
- Understanding the new rules of learning
- Becoming a lifelong learner
- Planning for leisure like you plan for work and learning
- Making time to give back
- What to do when the rules change again