When life and work were predictable, you could immerse yourself in learning a field for a long time. But you're going to find that you increasingly have to find ways to learn what's needed just before you have to perform the work.
- Back when life and work were a little more predictable,…you could immerse yourself in learning a field…for a long time, but you're going to find…you have to increasingly look for ways to learn…what's needed just before you have to perform the work.…So that's new learning rule number two.…You must become a just-in-time learner.…Now let's take the example of computer programming,…which is considered one of the hot jobs of today.…A four-year software engineering degree…at a well-known school…can cost upwards of $300,000,…yet it comes with no guarantee of future work opportunities.…
In fact, did you ever ask yourself "why does it take…"four years? Why not four semesters or four months?"…It turns out that an increasing number of…online and in person code camps…charge fees ranging from free to $24,000…for programs ranging from four to 48 weeks.…And if they're successfully completed,…they come with a guarantee to be hired…or you get your money back.…Which would you choose?…Of course, not all students will be directed enough…
LinkedIn Learning (Lynda.com) is a PMI Registered Education Provider. This course qualifies for professional development units (PDUs). To view the activity and PDU details for this course, click here.
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Why there are new rules of work, learning, and life
- Thinking like an entrepreneur
- Building your network
- Doing work driven by meaning
- Understanding the new rules of learning
- Becoming a lifelong learner
- Planning for leisure like you plan for work and learning
- Making time to give back
- What to do when the rules change again