Join Olivia Chiu Stone for an in-depth discussion in this video Rearrange data with the orderby operator, part of LINQ with C# Essential Training.
- In general, LINQ Queries tried to preserve…the original order of the sequence.…However, there are often times when it can be…extremely useful to reorder the sequence…based on a different criteria.…LINQ can do that by using an ordering operator.…The Orderby operator allows you to order the elements…in the sequence by a specific key.…You can think of how you can organize data in Excel…and rearrange the order based on a specific column.…I want to write a query to order the customers…based on the state that they live in…to help group those that live in the place together.…
I call this query "orderbyStateQuery"…To use the Orderby operator in my query,…I need to specify the property to base the order on.…In this case, the value of the state property…and the customer class.…The query expression ends with a select clause…that returns all the reordered customer elements.…Now that I've created the query,…I'll set up before each statement to execute it.…For every element that is in the resulting sequence…from the orderbyStateQuery,…
AuthorOlivia Chiu Stone
In LINQ with C# Essential Training, engineer Olivia Chiu introduces techniques for querying, updating, and transforming data with LINQ. She covers standard queries—such as finding overlaps in two datasets and creating hierarchies—as well as complex chained queries. She also shows how to group and join LINQ queries with lambda expressions, and use LINQ to query SQL databases and XML documents. Last but not least, Olivia provides tips for optimizing the performance of your queries.
- Creating and executing a LINQ query
- Returning results
- Changing the data source type
- Performing standard queries
- Working with lambda expressions
- Chaining and complex queries
- Querying SQL and XML
- Performing tree queries
- Using sequences, elements, and scalars
- Allocating memory
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to LINQ
Common use cases1m 45s
2. Basic LINQ Queries
3. Data Transformation
Return results as a new type1m 39s
4. Type Relationships
5. Standard Queries
6. Lambda Expressions
7. Complex Queries
8. LINQ to SQL
9. LINQ to XML
10. Other Operators
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.