Join Olivia Chiu Stone for an in-depth discussion in this video Order queries with lambda expressions, part of LINQ with C# Essential Training.
- This example program contains a query…written in the comprehension syntax…that uses the OrderBy operator…to order customers based on their home state.…I'll rewrite the example using lambda syntax…which doesn't require the from clause…to reference the data source.…And I create the lambda expression…to OrderBy the state property.…And I don't need the select clause…at the end of this query either.…When I run the program,…I see the same results as when I was…using the comprehension syntax.…
Notice that there are multiple customers…from the same state.…What order are they placed in the resulting sequence?…Currently, that's actually indeterminate,…but you can provide a secondary criteria…to order elements that share…the same value for the primary criteria.…You can use the secondary key…with the operator ThenBy.…To use this operator, the resulting sequence…must be of a type IOrderedEnumerable.…This type inherits from IEnumerable…so it has all the same expected characteristics…in the resulting sequence.…
IOrderedEnumerable allows me to follow…
AuthorOlivia Chiu Stone
In LINQ with C# Essential Training, engineer Olivia Chiu introduces techniques for querying, updating, and transforming data with LINQ. She covers standard queries—such as finding overlaps in two datasets and creating hierarchies—as well as complex chained queries. She also shows how to group and join LINQ queries with lambda expressions, and use LINQ to query SQL databases and XML documents. Last but not least, Olivia provides tips for optimizing the performance of your queries.
- Creating and executing a LINQ query
- Returning results
- Changing the data source type
- Performing standard queries
- Working with lambda expressions
- Chaining and complex queries
- Querying SQL and XML
- Performing tree queries
- Using sequences, elements, and scalars
- Allocating memory
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introduction to LINQ
Common use cases1m 45s
2. Basic LINQ Queries
3. Data Transformation
Return results as a new type1m 39s
4. Type Relationships
5. Standard Queries
6. Lambda Expressions
7. Complex Queries
8. LINQ to SQL
9. LINQ to XML
10. Other Operators
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.