Learn about application configuration data issues and the concept of configmaps.
- Applications require a way for us to pass data to them…that can be changed at deploy time.…Examples of this might be log levels…or URLs of external systems…that the application might need at start-up time.…Instead of hard-coding these values,…we use configmaps in Kubernetes…to pass these values…as environment variables to the container.…For example, in this scenario, I have a deployment…where I have a container called karthequian reader…and, as an environment variable,…I want to pass log level of error.…So if I run this,…kubectl create -f reader deployment.yaml…I will see the deployment's been created.…
Get pods, I see that the pod…is in a container-creating status,…and we see that the pod is running.…Let's take a look at the logs.…Get the pod name first.…We'll notice that this says…that the log level passed via environment variable…was error as per the application.…What we'd like to do is…we'd like to change this at deployment time.…
For this, we can use something called configmaps.…In order to create a configmap,…
- What is containerization?
- Kubernetes features
- Clusters, nodes, and pods
- Deployments, jobs, and services
- Getting an application up and running
- Working with labels
- Handling application upgrades
- Dealing with configuration data
- Running jobs
- Production deployments
- Monitoring and logging
- Security in Kubernetes
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 06/14/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: breaking down the Hello World application.
DevOps Foundations: Containerswith David Linthicum1h 16m Intermediate
DevOps Foundations: Infrastructure as Codewith Ernest Mueller2h 6m Intermediate
1. Containerization with Kubernetes
2. Kubernetes: The Terminology
Kubelet and kube proxy2m 13s
3. Kubernetes 101: Hello World
4. Making it Production Ready
5. Kubernetes 201
6. Advanced Topics
Next steps2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.