Learn about the concept of environment variables, and Kubernetes secrets for dealing with application data.
- [Instructor] Just like configuration data,…applications might also require other data…that is more sensitive in nature.…For example, like in this scenario,…database passwords or api tokens.…Passing these straight and yml for deployment or pod…would make them visible to everyone.…In cases like these, we'd want to use…something called a secret, let's see what that is.…In order to create a secret,…we can do a kubectl create secret,…we want to create a generic secret,…and let's call it an apikey.…
We're going to pass this from literal…and we'll call it api_key equals something like that.…In this scenario we've created the secret,…so let's take a look at our secrets api.…We see a secret of name api key,…type opaque, some data in it.…If you want to take a look at the actual secret,…you can do a kubectl get secret…and we called this api_key.…
If we try and do an o yml,…we'll notice that the data portion has the api key,…but we have a different value from what we initially typed.…That is because this value is encoded in the base 64 format.…
- What is containerization?
- Kubernetes features
- Clusters, nodes, and pods
- Deployments, jobs, and services
- Getting an application up and running
- Working with labels
- Handling application upgrades
- Dealing with configuration data
- Running jobs
- Production deployments
- Monitoring and logging
- Security in Kubernetes
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 06/14/2018. What changed?
A: The following topic was updated: breaking down the Hello World application.
DevOps Foundations: Containerswith David Linthicum1h 16m Beginner
DevOps Foundations: Infrastructure as Codewith Ernest Mueller2h 6m Intermediate
1. Containerization with Kubernetes
2. Kubernetes: The Terminology
Kubelet and kube proxy2m 13s
3. Kubernetes 101: Hello World
4. Making it Production Ready
5. Kubernetes 201
6. Advanced Topics
Next steps2m 16s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.