In this video, learn what's special about Kotlin and how its language features can help you write concise code that has fewer bugs.
- [Instructor] Kotlin is a great programming language. … Compared to Java it is much more concise … and has a much stronger null safety, … meaning that you can catch potential crashes much earlier … in your development cycle. … It is interoperable with Java. … You can keep part of your app in Java, … migrating to Kotlin at your own pace. … On top of that, you can do functional programming in Kotlin, … which often makes your code much more concise … and much more readable. … Kotlin has great tooling. … Besides Android Studio, I often use the Kotlin Playground … to experiement with different Kotlin features. … It runs in the browser and it is much faster … than compiling an app, … then deploying it to a device. … On the Kotlin Playground, … you can type in the code and then press Run … to see the result right away. … …
- What’s special about Kotlin?
- Converting your Java code into Kotlin
- Using the lateinit keyword
- Scope functions
- Kotlin Android extensions
- Using the elvis operator
- Functional programming
- Android KTX
Skill Level Intermediate
Intermediate Kotlin for Android Developerswith Annyce Davis2h 8m Intermediate
Learning Kotlin for Android Developmentwith Kevin Moore1h 1m Intermediate
1. From Java to Kotlin
2. Properties and Fields
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.