Learn strategies to successfully plan, design, and execute a crowdfunding campaign for your independent film.
- With the advent of internet crowdfunding, independent filmmakers can more easily bypass the traditional Hollywood style filmmaking model of big studio, big budget only financing and appeal directly to their audience for aid in making their film a reality. Hi, I'm Kelley Slagle and by day I'm a video producer and editor for the visual communications company Red Pixel. The rest of the time, I'm an independent filmmaker. My production company, Cavegirl Productions, has produced 13 short films, a narrative feature, and a fantasy web series pilot and I'm currently producing and editing an art documentary.
I've run crowdfunding campaigns for my own projects, and consulted on several others. In this course, we're going to cover a lot of ground when it comes to crowdfunding for independent film projects. We'll see if you should crowdfund your film and why, go through the types of funding available, and I'll give you my recommendations for several crowdfunding platforms you should consider using. Then, we'll dive into planning your campaign, finding and researching your audience, the importance of building a team, and how long your campaign, or campaigns, should last.
We'll cover breaking out your budget ahead of time and how to best determine your film's crowdfunding goal amount. We'll cover planning and putting together your campaign's video, the importance of selling not just your film but yourself, and what the video should include and what to avoid. After that, we'll go over design strategies for your campaign pages content and visuals, and how it is essential for you to be transparent with your costs and timeline. Then, it's time to go over options for campaign rewards. Digital, physical, and experience perks that you can offer your backers and how to design and price your reward levels.
Once the campaign is set up, you'll need to run it day to day and I'll give you some great ways to keep things moving and progressing. Finally, I'll talk about following through after your campaign and share some valuable resources that will help you reach your crowdfunding goals. Crowdfunding for your independent film is a large commitment of time and effort. Hopefully, this course will help you navigate things a little easier.
- Why crowdfund?
- Recommended crowdfunding platforms
- Finding and researching your audience
- Planning your campaign
- Breaking down your film budget
- Creating a campaign video
- Offering rewards and perks
- Running your campaign
- Following through and keeping contributors happy