Join Jen Kramer for an in-depth discussion in this video The goal of this project, part of Joomla! 1.7 and Joomla! 2.5: Access Control Lists in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Hey you! Yeah, you are watching this video, you are pretty comfortable with Joomla!…by this point or you wouldn't even be watching this video.…You know what content, components, modules, plug-ins and templates are.…You even know how to set it all up and make it go.…Do what ever you want to do.…But does your client?…And does your client want to see all that stuff in the backend?…Can they be trusted not to touch it just because you told them to leave it alone?…Of course, it depends on the client.…I've had many clients who are too scared to do much of anything on the backend.…And I have had other clients who break things frequently because they go…where they shouldn't. To this point in Joomla!, there's been little you can do…about this problem.…
You could assign your client to one of the existing user groups.…For example, they could be an administrator and that would prevent them from…having access to the templates in Joomla!…1.5.However, if you have several templates in use on your site, your client had…
- Introducing access control lists
- Defining users, groups, and access levels
- Assigning core permissions
- Creating users and assigning them to groups
- Assigning viewing access levels to modules, articles, and categories
- Customizing back-end editing for improving client usability
- Adjusting permissions for each category of content
- Hiding a site behind a login
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund14h 32m Beginner
Templating with Joomla! 3 and Bootstrapwith Jen Kramer5h 8m Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Understanding Access Control Lists (ACL)
2. Allowing Different Users to Read Different Front-End Content
3. Allowing Front-End Site Administration
4. Creating a Simplified Back End for Clients
5. ACL Tips and Tricks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.