Join Jen Kramer for an in-depth discussion in this video Defining groups and using the default groups, part of Joomla! 1.7 and Joomla! 2.5: Access Control Lists in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
A Group is an element in Joomla!…which may have core permissions and users assigned to it.…A Group or User Group may contain one user or many users.…All of the users within a User Group have the same core permissions and the same…ability to access specific pages on the site for viewing or editing.…So let's take a good look at that User Groups that come with Joomla!…To you to the User Groups manager, go to Users and Groups and this will show you…the User Group screen. Sometimes Joomla!…call this the User Groups in the backend and sometimes it's here on the…drop-down menu, they call it the Group's menu item.…
So both of those words refer to exactly the same thing, these are User Groups,…as you see here listed on the screen.…These are the default groups that come with Joomla!…1.7 and they're constructed exactly as the groups were in Joomla!…1.5, public, registered, author, editor and publisher pertain to the front…end of the website.…While the manager, administrator and super-user pertain to the backend of the website.…
- Introducing access control lists
- Defining users, groups, and access levels
- Assigning core permissions
- Creating users and assigning them to groups
- Assigning viewing access levels to modules, articles, and categories
- Customizing back-end editing for improving client usability
- Adjusting permissions for each category of content
- Hiding a site behind a login
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund14h 32m Beginner
Templating with Joomla! 3 and Bootstrapwith Jen Kramer5h 8m Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Understanding Access Control Lists (ACL)
2. Allowing Different Users to Read Different Front-End Content
3. Allowing Front-End Site Administration
4. Creating a Simplified Back End for Clients
5. ACL Tips and Tricks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.