Join Jen Kramer for an in-depth discussion in this video Customizing the login screen, part of Joomla! 1.7 and Joomla! 2.5: Access Control Lists in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous video we discovered that when we logged in to the front end of…the website, say, using volunteer, vol and vol that we got a single login page…and in fact, whoever logs in to the website whether they are volunteer,…employee or senior manager, they're going to get the same login page that is…not terribly useful.…But wouldn't it be great if we could customize this login page to the specific…user type for the website?…I think that would be pretty terrific.…So we are going to go ahead and do that using a wonderful little trick that…I covered in Joomla!…1.6 Essential Training, but not in this context.…
What I am going to do is I am going to make a series of modules, three modules, in fact.…And one will be for volunteers, one will be for employees, and one will be for…senior managers, and I will just set these up as custom HTML modules.…Then we'll set the access level for each one of those modules and then I'll set…up the modules to display here inside of the article.…That would mean that every time somebody logs into the website, the article…
- Introducing access control lists
- Defining users, groups, and access levels
- Assigning core permissions
- Creating users and assigning them to groups
- Assigning viewing access levels to modules, articles, and categories
- Customizing back-end editing for improving client usability
- Adjusting permissions for each category of content
- Hiding a site behind a login
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund14h 32m Beginner
Templating with Joomla! 3 and Bootstrapwith Jen Kramer5h 8m Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Understanding Access Control Lists (ACL)
2. Allowing Different Users to Read Different Front-End Content
3. Allowing Front-End Site Administration
4. Creating a Simplified Back End for Clients
5. ACL Tips and Tricks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.