Join Jen Kramer for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating groups, assigning core permissions, creating users, and assigning access levels, part of Joomla! 1.7 and Joomla! 2.5: Access Control Lists in Depth.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Now that we've got the goals for our website all set, we are ready to move…forward with setting up Sara, as a user here on the website and giving her the…special abilities to create, edit and change the state of any article within the…Volunteer category on this website.…Remember that, users, all live within at least one user group, and with that…particular user group, all of those particular users have the ability to do…exactly the same thing.…So if we want to give Sara special powers that are outside of what the other…volunteers can do, we'll have to put Sara in her own user group.…
So that's what we're going to do first.…We will set up a user group for Sara, we will assign the core permissions and…then create her user account.…We will also set up an access level for her.…So the first step is to create a user group.…So I am going to go to Users>Groups>Add New Group.…And I am going to give this a title of Volunteer Publisher Group. Why?…Because remember, Publishers in Joomla!…1.5 and the default publisher group in 1.7 have the ability to create, edit…
- Introducing access control lists
- Defining users, groups, and access levels
- Assigning core permissions
- Creating users and assigning them to groups
- Assigning viewing access levels to modules, articles, and categories
- Customizing back-end editing for improving client usability
- Adjusting permissions for each category of content
- Hiding a site behind a login
Skill Level Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Essential Trainingwith Kevin Skoglund14h 32m Beginner
Templating with Joomla! 3 and Bootstrapwith Jen Kramer5h 8m Intermediate
PHP with MySQL Beyond the Basicswith Kevin Skoglund10h 26m Intermediate
1. Understanding Access Control Lists (ACL)
2. Allowing Different Users to Read Different Front-End Content
3. Allowing Front-End Site Administration
4. Creating a Simplified Back End for Clients
5. ACL Tips and Tricks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.