Join Jen Kramer for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating child templates, part of Joomla! 3 Essential Training: 2 Modules Components Extensions & Templates.
- So far we've talked about template styles…these are little groups of settings…that run on top of…some HTML and CSS that is controlled by something called…a Template Master.…And it's fine to…go on ahead and set up as many templates styles as you want…that are dependent on that Template Master.…As Joomla updates and goes to new versions…your template styles should be protected…and those colors and so forth should carry on…to updated versions of the template.…But,…if you want to go into Protostar…and you want to start changing around the HTML and CSS…that underlies all of those template styles…I strongly recommend that the first thing you do…is make a copy of that template.…
Why?…Because Protostar is a template that's distributed…as part of Joomla's core…and so updates to that template can come out.…What happens when updates come out to that template…and you upgrade your website…to the latest version of Joomla?…Well, then what happens is…all of those changes you had made to that template…are all overwritten…and that is not good…
- Configuring modules
- Creating a custom HTML module
- Displaying testimonials and random images with modules
- Using contact form components
- Enhancing Joomla! with extensions
- Changing the look of your site with templates
- Adjusting template masters with the HTML and CSS editors
Skill Level Beginner
Q: This course was updated on 05/30/2018. What changed?
A: We added one new video on NOCAPTCHA, a bot detection service for forms, and a new chapter of videos on the updates in Joomla 3.8.6.
1. Using Modules
2. Using Components
3. Extending Joomla!
4. Working with Templates
5. Joomla 3.8.6 Updates
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.