- [Instructor] So the big question most people ask … when they hear about how useful functional programming is … is, "What exactly is functional programming?" … Well, to answer this question, … it might be helpful to consider the question … of why we would want to use functional programming … in the first place. … In other words, what are the problems … that functional programming sets out to solve? … Well, if you currently use … an object-oriented programming language such as Java or C++ … or especially a procedural programming language such as C, … you've probably run into this problem before. … There are certain bugs that are difficult … to track down and fix, … partly because they're hard to recreate, … it takes a long, convoluted series of steps … to make them show up, … and partly because even when you figure out … how to recreate them, … it's next to impossible for you to keep track … of all the changes that occur while the program is running. … In a typical enterprise-sized program, …
- The goal of functional programming
- Declarative vs. imperative programming
- Ensuring immutability
- Arrow functions in ES6
- Passing functions as arguments
- Mapping, filtering, slicing, sorting, and reducing
- Advanced functional concepts, including recursion
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Introductory Functional Concepts
2. First-Class Functions
4. Advanced Functional Concepts
5. Code Conversion Challenges
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.