Join Eve Porcello for an in-depth discussion in this video Transpiling with Webpack, part of Up and Running with ECMAScript 6.
- The solutions for transpiling so far have been useful,…but a little bit too manual.…For a larger scale project,…most people like to use a build tool…to help automated processes like transpiling,…SAS conversion, and more.…Let's take a look at one of these build tools, webpack.…Webpack is a build tool that helps us load…all of our dependencies: CSS, images,…node modules, and more.…And babel and webpack work really well together…and can help automate the process…of performing these conversions.…
To get started working with webpack,…we need to create a package.json file for our dependencies.…To do this, we simply need…to open our terminal window,…and we need to type npm init.…Npm init is the command we use to set up…our module documentation.…So, to do so, I can follow all of the prompts…to create my package.json file.…So let's just call this testing-webpack.…We'll use a hyphen there.…We'll give it a version number,…a description, an entry point, a test command,…a git repository if we have one,…and then any sort of keywords that we want to use.…
- What is ECMAScript?
- Transpiling ECMAScript with Babel and Babel-node
- Using the let and const keywords
- Creating strings with template strings
- Enhancing object literals
- Working with ES6 classes and class inheritance
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The Babel API is out of date. How do I proceed with the course?
A: We are updating the course. In the meantime, you can install the babel-cli package and then install the presets that you need to follow along with the tutorials.