Join Eve Porcello for an in-depth discussion in this video Loading data with fetch, part of Learning ECMAScript 6.
- [Instructor] In the previous video,…we looked at how space people can help us…load data from an API.…Loading data is one of the things we have to do…quite a bit as developers, so there is a fetch function…that we can use to simplify all of this code.…Now the fetch function works natively in most browsers.…There are also node packages that work with fetch…like node fetch and isomorphic fetch.…So what I'm going to do here is I'm going to replace this code…using the fetch function.…
The fetch function is always going to take…in the URL for an API.…So here we'll use the same one.…You can copy and paste it if you choose.…I'll just type it here, api.open-notify.org/astros.json.…Fetch also has access to a then method,…which is going to execute as soon as the fetch has resolved.…So then is going to take in console.log.…Great.…So now I'm going to comment out our space people function,…and we'll take a look at what this returns.…
Fetch returns the entire response object.…And this object has inside of it,…if we check out the prototype, it has a json function…
- What is ECMAScript?
- Transpiling ECMAScript with Babel and Babel-node
- Using the let and const keywords
- Creating strings with template strings
- Enhancing object literals
- Working with ES6 classes and class inheritance
Skill Level Beginner
Q: The Babel API is out of date. How do I proceed with the course?
A: We are updating the course. In the meantime, you can install the babel-cli package and then install the presets that you need to follow along with the tutorials.
Building a Polling App with Socket IO and React.jswith Alex Banks3h 56m Intermediate
1. What Is ECMAScript 6 (ES6)?
2. Transpiling ES6
3. ES6 Syntax
4. ES6 Functions & Objects
5. Asynchronous Features
6. ES6 Classes
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.