The objects are looking flat since there is no surface shading. You will update the current material to PhongMaterial to be able to start getting surface shading on materials. You will then notice objects are not visible anymore and the reason for that is the scene doesn't have any lights. When using materials other than basic material you need to have a light in the scene for things to be visible.
- [Instructor] One of the problems that we are faced…with right now is the lack of surface shading.…Currently objects are flat shaded,…which makes it really hard to understand…the dimensionality of the shapes,…and appreciate the 3-D nature of the scene.…This is because we are using the mesh basic material…on our objects which is not affected by the scene lighting.…Let's use a different kind of a material…to see how lighting can be used to enhance…the look of the scene.…There are several materials to choose from in three.js.…We will look into the types of materials,…and the differences in between them…in the following chapters.…
For now we will switch the mesh basic material,…with the mesh phong material.…Before I do that though,…I want to get rid of the fog in the scene…to be able to illustrate the concept of 3-D…lighting a little bit better.…I will make the fog conditional,…and set the condition to false…to disable the fog for the time being.…So just creating a variable here…to be able to control the fog.…And I'm setting the variable's value to false,…
- Building a simple scene
- Creating three.js 3D objects
- Adding light and shadows
- Animating with Tween.js
- Working with materials and textures
- Editing and importing geometries
- Creating a particle system
- Post-processing with effects and shaders
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Building a Simple Scene
2. Three.js Scene Object
5. Materials and Textures
Next steps1m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.